is enabling you to play RealMedia files without installing RealPlayer
or RealOne Player. Keep using your usual media player and enjoy viewing RealMedia files as well.
With this software, you can play those .rm or .ra files without advertising, registration forms and constant offers to buy a more capable version of the software.
With Real Alternative, you will be able to play the following formats: RealAudio (.ra and .rpm), RealMedia (.rm, .ram, .rmvb, .rpx, .smi, and .smil), RealPix (.rp). RealText (.rt), and the RealMedia embedded in webpages.
Furthermore, the RealMedia browser plugin ensures support for Internet Explorer, Opera, Netscape, Google Chrome and Mozilla.
Other features of the Real Alternative codec, apart from the Internet browser plugin, are the DirectShow splitter, the RealMedia Codecs and the Media Player Classic
This codec has some limitations, too. .smi and .smil files only play the first part of a video, when the clip is made of multiple parts.
These formats are not very common though, and, on the other hand, they play correctly when embedded in a browser, so this drawback is not so serious.
Another limitation is the fact that the RealMedia DirectShow splitter does not offer support for streaming content; you must use Media Player Classic instead.
In spite of its limitations, Real Alternative remains a good solution when it comes to playing Real Media files.
This application exempts you from the disadvantages of the RealPlayer and comes with other benefits, as well, such as easy installing, proper un-installation, the lack of background processes, consuming a small amount of resources and no adware.
Moreover, if you don’t want to install Media Player Classic, choose the Real Alternative Light pack. All in all, this codec is a discreet presence that does its job without disturbing.
Real Alternative 2.0.2 contains
- Media Player Classic [version 18.104.22.168-107]
- RealMedia Codecs [version 22.214.171.1241]
- RealMedia plugin for Internet Explorer
- RealMedia plugin for Opera/Mozilla/Netscape/Google Chrome
- RealMedia DirectShow splitter [version 1.3.1268.0]
The only difference between the regular and lite versions is that the lite version does not include Media Player Classic.
Changes in Real Alternative 2.0.2
- Updated Media Player Classic to version 126.96.36.199 rev. 107
- Minor changes
• Real Alternative 2.0.1
- Updated Media Player Classic to 188.8.131.52 rev. 104
- Updated RealMedia codecs to 184.108.40.2061
- Updated RealMedia Browser plugin to 220.127.116.111
- Updated RealMedia DirectShow splitter to 1.3.1268.0
- The RealMedia Browser plugin now also works with Internet Explorer 8
- Minor fixes and improvements
The Real Alternative is considered a more reliable option than using the RealPlayer application, which bothered many users with its importunate behavior.