DirectShow FilterPack only allows you to play and decode audio and video files, and it cannot be used for encoding or creating multimedia files with it.
Unlike similar packs, DirectShow FilterPack doesn’t come with an included media player and it doesn’t cause conflicts between various codecs and filters.
You just need to install it to your computer and you will be able to play almost anything.
The installation process is fast and simple; DirectShow FilterPack works on Windows XP or Windows 7 and it requires DirectX
DirectShow FilterPack contains the following tools:
- the BASS Source Filter 188.8.131.52 which decodes Tracker Audio (MO3, IT, XM, S3M, MTM, MOD and UMX), OptimFROG Audio (OFR) and SHOUTcast/Icecast audio streams (MP3, AAC, OGG); Livio Cavallo - TAK Source Filter 0.0.1.6 needed for Tom's verlustfreier Audiokompressor files (TAK); Hendrik Leppkes - LAV Filters 0.48.0.0 (FFmpeg
based DirectShow filters which support all the popular audio and video file formats); MPC-HC Team - CDDA Source Filter 184.108.40.20616, which reads Audio CDs; MPC-HC Team - CDXA Source Filter 220.127.116.1116 for (S)VCDs and XCDs and Softella - DirectShow Filter Manager 0.5.0.260, an utility which helps listing, sorting, finding, adding or removing DirectShow filters.
The last version of DirectShow FilterPack was 5.1, released in 2012 and it was announced that this would be the last release. DirectShow FilterPack remains a reliable, “no-nonsense” application that does exactly what it promises: offering you the tools you need to play the most common media formats error-free.
How to install/remove DirectShow FilterPack
- Extract "DSFP-5.1.exe" to a logical place. (If you pick "C:\Program Files" for example, the whole content will be extracted to "C:\Program Files\DirectShow FilterPack".)
- Browse to the directory you just extracted the whole content to.
- Run "DSFP_inst.bat". (In every subdirectory you'll also find an "install.bat" and "uninstall.bat" to install or uninstall every filter separately.)
- Browse to the "DirectShow FilterPack" directory.
- Run "DSFP_uninst.bat".
- Delete the "DirectShow FilterPack" directory.
- DirectShow FilterPack's development has been closed!
These filters are essential if you want to play your video and audio contents using media players based on DirectShow, such as Windows Media Player, Zoom Player or BS.Player.