This codec was developed by Sony for its portable audio players. The highest bit rate supported by Atrac3 is 132 kbps (which they say is superior to MP3 128 kbps) and supplies a decent quality. For the best quality ATRAC3 files, you must convert the tracks directly from the audio CD.
Sony about ATRAC3 Technology
ATRAC3 is a compression technology based on Sony ATRAC (Adaptive TRansform Acoustic Coding) technology that originated with and is supported by MiniDisc.
ATRAC3 achieves twice the data compression rate of ATRAC with virtually no loss in sound quality and reduces the size of audio data to 1/10 of the original audio CD source.
The audio compression technologies used by Sony analyze the digital audio data and reduce the size of this data by applying the latest digital audio technologies.
Compressing audio data provides real benefits:
- Drastically minimize the required physical size of recording media while enabling increased music storage.
- Smaller file sizes means a reduction in audio data transmission time.
How to install Sony ATRAC3 Audio Codec
- New: atrac3.exe
was added in atrac3.zip
pack. Just click the executable!
- Uncompress the files from atrac3.zip
archive, right-click on the atrac3.inf
file and select Install
- You may encounter a prompt saying: "The software you are installing for this hardware... has not passed Windows Logo testing..."; click on the Continue Anyway
- Then check the installed codec. See Checking Installed VIDEO and AUDIO Codecs In Windows XP