Among the media players which offer support for madVR we mention MPC-HC
, Zoom Player
and Daum PotPlayer
The main features of this GPU assisted video renderer are high-quality scaling, chroma upsampling, YCbCr to RGB conversion, full 16bit processing queue, gamut & gamma correction for display calibration, and final 16bit processing result dithered down to RGB output bitdepth.
All the actions are performed via GPU shaders and obtaining the highest quality is top priority for madVR.
This application has some limitations as well as capabilities, although in the future updates will probably add more to the features of madVR: it does not support subtitles yet and the DVD playback with navigation menu is only available in XP.
Other features not supported are hardware accelerated video decoding (DXVA) and hardware accelerated deinterlacing (DXVA).
madVR is a tool worth trying for all media enthusiasts who want to get the best out of their video files. Videos have a crispier look and the graphic card works at its full potential so your movies look a lot more like real life.
The latest updates have added new capabilities to madVR:
* added Bicubic "sharpness: 150" option (useful for downscaling)
* added Shiandow's SSIM downscaling algorithm
* optimized Direct3D initialization order for 3D playback
* rendering no longer waits for OpenCL or DirectCompute to initialize
* fixed: AMD x64 GPU driver crash (added a workaround, not my fault!)
* fixed: interlaced output resulted in wrong refresh rate detected
* fixed: switching windowed -> FSE with D3D11 could result in black screen
* fixed: screenshots with "use a separate device for DXVA" sometimes failed
* fixed: incoming 4:2:2 content with odd video resolution crashed
* fixed: minor timing issue with D3D11 presentation
* fixed: OSD stopped working when no new frames came from decoder
* fixed: one potential settings dialog crash
* added IMadVRCommand::SendCommandDouble("keepLastFrameOnStop")
* added IMadVRCommand::SendCommandDouble("emptyQueue")
* last video frame is now remembered for 2 seconds when stopping graph
* added "EC_VIDEO_SIZE_CHANGED" information to "mvrInterfaces.h"
All you need to do is install this piece of software on your computer and select madVR as your favorite renderer in the media player’s settings.