On2 Technologies describes the codec as follows
VP6 is the leading codec available for PC and set-top box applications, offering up to 40% better quality and 50% better playback performance than our revolutionary VP5 codec.
VP6 is the best video codec on the market today. It offers better image quality and faster decoding performance than Windows Media 9, RealVideo 10, H.264, and QuickTime MPEG-4.
In our internal testing, VP6 beat H.264, Windows Media 9 and Real Video 10 in PSNR comparisons using the standard set of MPEG-2 test clips. The codec looks better than Windows Media 9, shows far fewer motion artifacts than Windows Media 9, and maintains more texture and detail than Real 10 or H.264.
provided by On2 Technologies to make up your own mind.
Features of VP6 18.104.22.168
- Achieves a 10-15% improvement over previous versions of VP6 beta
- Supports Multi-pass encoding
- Highly configurable (constant or variable) datarate control
- Direct access
to the reconstruction buffer.
- Improves Error recovery
- Multiple platform support
(Intel, Equator, TI, PowerPC).
- Compresses high-definition (HD)
material with no restrictions on the encoder. VP6 can play back 1920x1080 HD material on a 2.5 GHz PC and 1280x720 material on a 1.5 GHz PC.
- Supports real-time encoding at full D1
- Up to 40% image quality improvement
- Up to 50% faster playback
- Optimized to produce the best quality video available
on high-resolution material (640x480 and higher).
- Designed for inexpensive DSP processors
. VP6 is ideal for embedded chipsets in non-PC devices and set-top boxes. Unlike some standards-based codecs (JVT, MPEG-4 v10), VP6 runs on general-purpose DSPs without requiring expensive add-on subprocessors.
- VP6 is a purely software-based solution
that can be upgraded easily.
- Introduces predefined "profiles"
for fast playback on inexpensive processors, General
for full D1 on set-top boxes, and Advanced for ensuring the best quality possible at extremely low datarates.
- Achieves any requested data rate
by choosing automatically to adjust quantization levels, adjust encoded frame dimensions, or drop frames altogether.
- Carries no patent pooling restrictions
or external licensing fees.
Changes in VP6 22.214.171.124
- Fixed Scanning Problem
on 10 October 2010, reviewed by: mo kho
i have installed it.but i dont see any configuration tool and players cant open vp6 after installing it.what is the problem
on 28 April 2006, reviewed by: John Ericson
This codec doesn't work with Windows Media Center 2005. It causes the Media Center Receiver Service to crash on startup.
on 24 May 2005, reviewed by: dubja
This one is excellent. No problems after the installation, works perfectly in Media Players and Editors. Very good compression rate with high resolutions.
Probably not very useful for small formats.