AAC ACM Codec
makes possible to preview and decode AAC in VirtualDub
(or almost any ACM client). AAC ACM Codec is basically a wrapped Audio Compression Manager interface around the free libfaad library by M. Bakker of Nero AG.
AAC is also the default or standard audio format for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Nintendo DSi, iTunes, DivX Plus Web Player
and PlayStation 3.
How to install AAC ACM Codec
If you've never installed the codec before, simply double-click the approriate .bat file for your platform (32-bit or 64-bit). If you get a scary warning that the codec has not passed "Windows Logo testing" (which is quite true by the way), choose to "Continue Anyway."
To uninstall the codec, start Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" dialog, select "AAC ACM Codec 1.6", and press the "Add/Remove" button.
If you have installed a previous version of the codec, I recommend you uninstall the old version as described above, and reboot Windows before installing this version (It's probably not necessary to do all that, but again, it can't hurt).
- Currently AAC ACM Codec can only decode AAC
, it cannot encode AAC! As encoder, use Nero AAC Codec
Changes in AAC ACM Codec 1.9
- By request the x86 version now works on Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows NT 4.
* AAC ACM Codec 1.8
- Fixed incorrect responses to ACMDM_FORMAT_DETAILS query which would confuse Windows ACM in some cases.
* AAC ACM Codec 1.7
- Updated .inf and .bat files provided by ale5000. If you are using one of the batch files to install the codec on Windows Vista or higher, you must right click the .bat file and select "Run as Administrator".
- Due to implicit PS, libfaad2 always decodes in stereo even when the AAC should be mono. This version will downmix the decoded data to mono when appropriate.
AAC ACM Codec 1.9
on 17 June 2013, reviewed by: larsm
Works very well with gopro hero3 videos and virtualdub. If you use 32 bit virtualdub, install 32 bit version of this codec.
AAC ACM Codec 1.7
on 27 August 2011, reviewed by: Barry
This is bullnuts! it didnt work for x64 and while it didnt work, i cant even remove it anymore.......
AAC ACM Codec 1.7
on 02 July 2011, reviewed by: George Kotsenos
Finally, a codec that can only decode and not encode. I was looking for it.
AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates.