Regarding compression, LAME MP3 Encoder is superior to other similar utilities because it uses CBR, VBR and ABR.
CBR allows you to maintain a constant bitrate through the file and predict the size of the resulting file.
The VBR method is recommended for the average user because it renders the smallest file size while keeping quality; it changes bitrates depending on the complexity of the file.
The ABR method is a combination of the previous two, which preserves the bitrate at the required target and produces smaller files than the CBR method.
LAME MP3 Encoder uses the Command Line interface, but this should not scare you off. The commands are very simple and you can learn them by reading the Command Line Help which comes with the application.
However, if Command Line interface scare you off, LAME executable can be used with one of these GUIs:
Or you can use the DLL with other standalone software:
Some people prefer the combination CDEx or AudioGrabber + LAME DLL (see CD Ripping / Encoding guide
In archive are included both: exe and DLL files.
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.99.5 includes
- lame.exe - LAME encoding library, generally used with CD rippers
- lame_enc.dll (ICL 11.1) - the command line encoder, used from the Windows command shell.
Although they are simple, the commands used in LAME MP3 Encoder allow you to process the audio files, using various options, such as filters, verbosity, noise sharpening, psycho acoustic algorithms and many others.
Other features which make LAME MP3 Encoder a professional encoding tool are the easy-to-use presets, the quality comparable to FhG encoding engines, MPEG 1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding, compiling the encoding engine as a shared library in Linux and UNIX or as a DLL or ACM codec in Windows etc.
LAME MP3 Encoder can represent your introduction to MP3 encoding or it can even help you become a professional audio encoder.
All these are possible by downloading an incredibly lightweight pack for free and taking some time to learn the program’s specific commands or by using one of the interfaces mentioned above.
Changes in LAME MP3 Encoder 3.99.5
• Rogério Brito:
- autotools: Fix compilation on alpha using proper ifdef guards. Thanks to Andres Mejia.
- Small correction of the documentation.
• Robert Hegemann:
- Workaround for cygwin build problem. Tracker item [ 3480692 ] mingw-w64 compilation error
- Fix for a problem when LAME is compiled with fast floating point math. It could result in bitrate bloat with silent input data.
- Bug fix for tracker item [ 3486753 ] Artifacts at the beginning of decoded file
* LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98.4
• Joseph Flynn
o Improvements for LAME DirectShow Filter
+ Added support for the DirectShow IAMStreamConfig Interface to the LAME encoder filter output pin.
+ Modified the DirectShow filter registration section so that the LAME Encoder filter is correctly registered in the Audio Compressors filter category. This will allow third-party encoding applications using the DirectShow System Device Enumerator Interface to correctly detect the LAME encoder when querying the Audio Compressors filter group.
- and more!
- LAME MP3 Encoder 3.90.3 is gone forever! It's no longer being recommended as preferred version - LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98
took its place.
It allows you to rip audio CDs and your music will occupy less storage space without compromising sound quality.