, we suggest you to install a recent build of FFDShow
, DivX H.264 Decoder
or LAV Filters
A media player
that supports H.264 internally is also a good solution if you don't want to mess
with codecs, filters, etc:
- MPlayer, there are few interesting frontends for Windows: MPlayer GUI
, MPlayer Frontend
- or VLC Media Player
VFW and installer were removed! So, you can try the x264Gui
, x264 VfW
, Leiming's x264 GUI
or the famous MeGUI
Main Features of x264 Video Codec
- Provides best-in-class performance, compression, and features.
- Achieves dramatic performance, encoding 4 or more 1080p streams in realtime on a single consumer-level computer.
- Gives the best quality, having the most advanced psychovisual optimizations.
- Support features necessary for many different applications, such as television broadcast, Blu-ray low-latency video applications, and web video.
- x264 forms the core of many web video services, such as Youtube, Facebook, Vimeo, and Hulu. It is widely used in television broadcast and by ISP.
- 8x8 and 4x4 adaptive spatial transform
- Adaptive B-frame placement
- B-frames as references / arbitrary frame order
- CAVLC/CABAC entropy coding
- Custom quantization matrices
- Intra: all macroblock types (16x16, 8x8, 4x4, and PCM with all predictions)
- Inter P: all partitions (from 16x16 down to 4x4)
- Inter B: partitions from 16x16 down to 8x8 (including skip/direct)
- Interlacing (MBAFF)
- Multiple reference frames
- Ratecontrol: constant quantizer, constant quality, single or multipass ABR, optional VBV
- Scenecut detection
- Spatial and temporal direct mode in B-frames, adaptive mode selection
- Parallel encoding on multiple CPUs
- Predictive lossless mode
- Psy optimizations for detail retention (adaptive quantization, psy-RD, psy-trellis)
- Zones for arbitrarily adjusting bitrate distribution