- or you can use the DLL with another software (AudioGrabber
etc). Some people prefer the combination CDEx or AudioGrabber + LAME DLL (see CD Ripping / Encoding guide
In archive are included both: exe and DLL files.
Features of LAME MP3 Encoder
- Many improvements in quality in speed over ISO reference software.
- MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
- CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
- Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL or ACM codec (Windows).
- Free format encoding and decoding
- GPSYCHO: a GPL'd psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
- Powerfull and easy to use presets.
- Quality is comparable to FhG encoding engines and substantially better than most other encoders.
- Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PII 266 at highest quality mode.
- MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.99.5 includes
- lame.exe - LAME encoding library, generally used with CD rippers
- lame_enc.dll (ICL 11.1) - the command line encoder, used from the Windows command shell.
Changes in LAME MP3 Encoder 3.99.5
• Rogério Brito:
- autotools: Fix compilation on alpha using proper ifdef guards. Thanks to Andres Mejia.
- Small correction of the documentation.
• Robert Hegemann:
- Workaround for cygwin build problem. Tracker item [ 3480692 ] mingw-w64 compilation error
- Fix for a problem when LAME is compiled with fast floating point math. It could result in bitrate bloat with silent input data.
- Bug fix for tracker item [ 3486753 ] Artifacts at the beginning of decoded file
* LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98.4
• Joseph Flynn
o Improvements for LAME DirectShow Filter
+ Added support for the DirectShow IAMStreamConfig Interface to the LAME encoder filter output pin.
+ Modified the DirectShow filter registration section so that the LAME Encoder filter is correctly registered in the Audio Compressors filter category. This will allow third-party encoding applications using the DirectShow System Device Enumerator Interface to correctly detect the LAME encoder when querying the Audio Compressors filter group.
+ Modified the filter registration information so that the MP3 audio subtype is correctly reported as being supported on the encoder output pin. This will allow third-party encoding applications using the DirectShow IFilterMapper2 Interface to recognize that the LAME encoder supports MP3 output.
+ Altered the Filter Merit Value that was being used when the filter was registered so that it is now using the standard DirectShow compressor filter merit value of MERIT_DO_NOT_USE (0x200000). Previously, the filter was being registered using a value of MERIT_SW_COMPRESSOR (0x100000), which was at a lower priority (i.e. worse priority) than MERIT_DO_NOT_USE. This prevented the LAME Encoder filter from being selected for use by some third-party encoding applications.
+ Added code to calculate the frame length of the audio frames used for the nBlockSize element of the WAVEFORMATEX output structure. Previously this value was simply hard-coded to 1.
• Robert Hegemann
o Fix for Bugtracker item [ 2973877 ] A problem regarding the new drain code
- LAME MP3 Encoder 3.90.3 is gone forever! It's no longer being recommended as preferred version - LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98
took its place.
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.100 alpha 2
on 12 February 2014, reviewed by: Roots
not so bad sound quality, but a rather poor stereo separation. right channel is again too dominant
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.100 alpha
on 31 August 2012, reviewed by: Wire Jig
The best sounding MP-3 audio encoder out there.
I did a fresh windows 7 install before re-ripping all of my CD’s I installed the 3.99.1 lame_enc.dll into the Windows\System32 folder audio grabber found it and my other audio programs use it as well. Hay for you audio files out there the Windows 7 has a problem with there Sample Rate Converter I have tested it with a spectrum analyzer the converter creates artifacts into the converted audio.
You can find the Hotfix at http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix389997/7600/free/441951_intl_i386_zip.exe
Ok before any update back up your files.
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.99.1
on 14 November 2011, reviewed by: ImaginedTruth
In my opinion still the best encoder for ripping CD's.
Sadly, at least in my view, CD ripping will eventually become a thing of the past.
For a good amount of time now, studio recordings exceed what are currently offered on CD's.
Nero already offers the HD AAC as part of Nero 11. Eventually, other software will offer the same.
I think the only major holdout in the case of major software is the when, not if, when both iTunes for Windows and Winamp include HD AAC.
People still wonder why not many companies offer either .ALAC (Apple Lossless) or .FLAC albums. Simple really, they are holding off until cloud providers get more well etablished (i.e. like iCloud from Apple), and two they are waiting for more major countries (including the U.S.) to have a more nationwide pure fiber-optic Internet setup (similar to Japan).
Then both uploads and download speeds will make what most people consider "high-speed" broadband seem as slow as people see a 33.6kb/ps dial-up modem seems to them now. At that point, the mere concept of CD's or even Blu-Ray discs seem completely obsolete.
I still love LAME, but someday, maybe sooner than expected, disc based media will become something a thing of the past.