Hardware acceleration does not work with certain mkv files

mkv acceleration dxva dxva2 cuda

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pale_*

Guest_Pale_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

Hi there. I am experiencing a rather strange issue. I am running movies off my HTPC, sporting a mini-itx board from Zotac, with an Atom D2700 CPU and a GeForce GTX 520 with 512MB RAM. The system has 4GB of RAM, runs Win7 Ultimate x64, has the latest drivers and runs off an SSD. I am using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 10.2, and select use LAV for everything as the install option. The problem persists with ffdshow, if I choose that instead.

My problem is that hardware acceleration seems not to be working for specific mkv files. This happens regardless of whether I use LAV or if I add CoreCodec AVC as an external filter and use that instead. It also happens regardless of whether I use dxva/2 or cuda as the method of acceleration. I'm running my files in MPC-HC.

I have not been able to test with WMP, as I haven't been able to get corecodec to use hw acceleration at all with that player for quite a while (since newer versions of K-Lite came along - maybe LAV?). For by far the most files, I simply have to start the file and hw acceleration kicks in in MPC-HC, playing the file smoothly.

But once in a while I get to an mkv file where the player always falls back to software mode to play them. And with an atom CPU, that means less than stellar playback.

Does anyone have any clues as to why it seems impossible to enable hw acceleration for the playback of certain mkv files?

Just for sake of testing, I can confirm that I get the exact same result on my desktop system. Sporting a 980X CPU however, I don't notice the lack of hardware acceleration :)

#2 speedy

speedy

Talented Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hardware acceleration is not used because those files are not compatible. Those videos most likely contain 10-bit H.264 video (Hi10p). HWA only works with regular 8-bit video. You should be able to see the differences between files with MediaInfo.

#3 Guest_Pale_*

Guest_Pale_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Hardware acceleration is not used because those files are not compatible. Those videos most likely contain 10-bit H.264 video (Hi10p). HWA only works with regular 8-bit video. You should be able to see the differences between files with MediaInfo.

Ah. That sucks. But thanks for the quick reply m8 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users