help with K-Lite Codec Pack

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kmeechan_*

Guest_kmeechan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

I have issue with a loss of Windows sounds, loss of the volume control icon in the lower right system trsy (even thouhg it's enabled) and no audio from embedded flash videos (i.e. Youtube). it occured after removing a major malware infection and running cleanup tools (OTL) and deleting all system restore points. When searching for help I found this thread (and another similar one) that suggests using the Codec Twaek Tool from K-Lite: http://www.mydigital...#comment-911222 I have downloaded the full version of K-Lite Codec pack and unchecked everything except the Codec Tweak Tool.
Problem: When trying to run it certain options including FIXES are grayed out, says I need administrator privileges. My user account (the only one) already has admin privileges. If I try right click/run as and select the user account shown or enter administrator and leave the password filed blank it won’t acept it. Any ideas anybody? I’ve never had this issue before with something asking for administrator privileges with this user account. Hopefully this is simple for someone to address, thanks for any help.

Kevin

#2 Guest_speedy_*

Guest_speedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

Disabling User Account Control can cause weird behavior.

Regarding your problem, you probably need to re-install your sound driver.

#3 Guest_kmeechan_*

Guest_kmeechan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

I have issue with a loss of Windows sounds, loss of the volume control icon in the lower right system trsy (even thouhg it's enabled) and no audio from embedded flash videos (i.e. Youtube). it occured after removing a major malware infection and running cleanup tools (OTL) and deleting all system restore points. When searching for help I found this thread (and another similar one) that suggests using the Codec Twaek Tool from K-Lite: http://www.mydigital...#comment-911222 I have downloaded the full version of K-Lite Codec pack and unchecked everything except the Codec Tweak Tool.
Problem: When trying to run it certain options including FIXES are grayed out, says I need administrator privileges. My user account (the only one) already has admin privileges. If I try right click/run as and select the user account shown or enter administrator and leave the password filed blank it won’t acept it. Any ideas anybody? I’ve never had this issue before with something asking for administrator privileges with this user account. Hopefully this is simple for someone to address, thanks for any help.

Kevin

#4 Guest_kmeechan_*

Guest_kmeechan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

CAN ANYONE HELP? See my previous entry, no windows system sounds OR flash video audio. I have downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack Full version 7.1 and 7.2 and logged in as administrator so the FIXES Tab functions and is no longer grayed out BUT THE WINDOW SHOWN ON THIS WEBPAGE EXAMPLE (http://www.mydigital...#comment-911222) (FIXES, (Registry): Fix non working system sound) IS NOT THERE! I have tried every tab in the Codec Tweak Tool and this option shown is no where to be found, the only option regarding sound under the FIXES tab is FIX BROKEN SOUND (MIDI, WAVEOUT).

Any ideas, has this tool been changed or something?

Thanks

#5 Guest_speedy_*

Guest_speedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

It is located on the Fixes page. If it is not shown, then that particular fix does not apply in your situation and your problem has a different cause.

Re-installing your sound driver is what you should try.

#6 Guest_kmeechan_*

Guest_kmeechan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the reply Speedy, I tried reinstalling the sound driver earlier, rather than delete it and reinstall it I downloaded a newer version from the Dell website and used their driver download software, that made no difference. I have found a couple of other links concerning this maddening problem, one is how to verify and reinstall any missing audio codecs and the other involves a regedit potential fix. Do you or anyone else know if a change in the registry can be reversed with a system restore in the event it causes problems or would it need to be fixed with a registry backup?

Thanks

#7 Guest_speedy_*

Guest_speedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

These values should be present in the Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
midimapper = midimap.dll
wavemapper = msacm32.drv
wave = wdmaud.drv
mixer = wdmaud.drv
midi = wdmaud.drv
aux = wdmaud.drv

#8 Guest_kmeechan_*

Guest_kmeechan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

I am not experienced with editing the registry but assuming HKLM is the same as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE there is nothing in this Drivers32 folder except: (Default REG_SZ (value not set) which I assume means it's empty. Some but not all of these values are in the drivers.desc folder. I recently tried this fix (before reinstalling the updated sound driver I believe)with no luck but I didn't actually check to see if the values had been set, maybe they were there and were then changed when reinstalling the new driver?:
http://www.mydigital...dio-in-windows/
This link has the values you specify and many more as well.

What do you suggest, should I try adding the values you list or try the longer list on the above link again?

Thanks

#9 Guest_speedy_*

Guest_speedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Yes, your problem is caused by that key being empty. Create those values I posted and the problem is most likely solved. They are all REG_SZ values.

#10 Guest_kmeechan_*

Guest_kmeechan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Ok, I created a .reg file in notepad which is attached, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I have tried dbl clicking on the file AND importing it with the registry editor, both times it says the settings were successfully entered but they aren't there when I check even after rebooting (and of course the no sound problem remains), this driver32 folder is still empty.

Attached Files

#11 Guest_speedy_*

Guest_speedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

Just create them manually with the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

#12 Guest_kmeechan_*

Guest_kmeechan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

take a lok at this link, it appears there's supposed to be about 60 entries in this drivers32 folder (including the 6 you mention):
http://www.mydigital...dio-in-windows/ Other users on other forums have concurred. This would take forever to type manually and I refuse to believe I can't just create a .reg file and import these values, any other ideas as to why this fix won't "take"? Could it have to do with permissions? Here is what this key has:
ADMINISTRATORS: fULL cONTROL and Read are checked but NOT greyed out (special permissions DENY is checked and greyed out)
CREATOR OWNER: Full Control anmd Read nothing checked, special permissions DENY is checked and greyed out
Everyone: Full Control and Read are checked and greyed out as you mention above, no selection for special permissions

#13 Guest_speedy_*

Guest_speedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Many of those entries do not belong on a clean install of Windows. Blindly creating them will fuck things up again.

The ones I mentioned are the only ones needed for the sounds. The other ones a regular VFW/ACM codecs. You can recreate missing ones with the Codec Tweak Tool: Manage ACM/VFW codecs -> codecs that belong to Windows -> enable all that are disabled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users