Photo

Why the need for ffdshow and Haali Splitter when LAV is there?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 berryracer

berryracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDubai, U.A.E.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I am a n00bie to codecs and just recently ditched the Shark007 Codecs because the developer is a jerk and criticized me on every question I asked on his forums.

anyway,

I have an nVIDIA GeForce GT 525M as the graphics chipset on my notebook and thus I would preferto have everything rendered using my graphics chipset so I chose the LAV filters. I usually install LAV Video, LAV Video, and LAV Splitter

But I recently discovered SVP (smooth video project) which allows you to play any video @ 60 FPS or higher which resulted in very smooth video playback in all my movies and I loved it

Now my question is, SVP automatically installs the HAALI media splitter and ffdshow.

But in the external filters options of MPC-HC I only see that they have selected LAV Video and ffdshow rav video filter

So my questions are:

1) why did they even install ffdshow and haali splitter when they have not been set in the external filters? the MPC-HC settings come from them

2) Why do I always see ffdshow everywhere, what is it like a software decoder? why wouldn't one choose LAV Video/Audio only? I never had problems playing anything with those.... just out of interest I would like to know what's so great about ffdshow

3) What about LAV splitter? is it better than HAALI splitter? not that I ever came across anything that needed it.... can you please explain in simple terms what is a splitter for anyway? to split audio and video? but why? and how to use it? please fill me in

Thanks
Lenovo IdeaPad Y570-2349
• Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20 / 3.10 GHz.
• 8 GB Hyundai DDR3 1333 MHz. RAM
• Kingston KC100 120GB SSD SATA-III + Toshiba THNSNB064GMCJ 64GB SSD SATA-II
• nVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 2GB DDR5 VRAM + Intel HD Graphics 3000
• 15.6' HD LED Screen (1366x768)
• Windows 7 Professional (x64)
PC Tweakers
Posted Image

#2 speedy

speedy

Talented Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

You should try out K-Lite. They have very friendly support. It also is much more flexible.

LAV Filters is pretty good and enough to play almost everything. Haali is still a bit better for splitting Matroska (mkv). Many people still prefer ffdshow as decoder because it offers a bit more functionality, such as post-processing. So what you should use is a matter of needs and preferences. K-Lite allows you to choose between LAV/ffdshow and LAV/Haali as decoders and splitters for various formats, so you can pick what you want. Pretty neat.

You don't really need to add anything to the external filters list in MPC-HC. If you disable its internal filters, it will automatically use the external filters that are installed on your computer.

#3 berryracer

berryracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDubai, U.A.E.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

You should try out K-Lite. They have very friendly support. It also is much more flexible.

LAV Filters is pretty good and enough to play almost everything. Haali is still a bit better for splitting Matroska (mkv). Many people still prefer ffdshow as decoder because it offers a bit more functionality, such as post-processing. So what you should use is a matter of needs and preferences. K-Lite allows you to choose between LAV/ffdshow and LAV/Haali as decoders and splitters for various formats, so you can pick what you want. Pretty neat.

You don't really need to add anything to the external filters list in MPC-HC. If you disable its internal filters, it will automatically use the external filters that are installed on your computer.

Thank you for the info

I stopped using K-Lite 2 years back because I watch a lot of Pr0n and need to quickly move between diff. sections of the movie by selecting which part i want to view from the seekbar. With the K-Lite codec packs, it pauses for a while when I choose a diff. section / part of the movie, then resumes playback after 5 seconds and I tried it again 2 weeks ago and it still has the exact same problem.

LAV works best for me and when I click on a diff. section of the movie, it instantly plays back!
Lenovo IdeaPad Y570-2349
PC Tweakers
Posted Image

#4 zeNmaster

zeNmaster

• Administrators
  • 155 posts
  • LocationEU

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

@speedy
We're friendly too :)

@berry
What player do you use? I have no codec packs installed, just MPC-HC and works fine.

To answer your last questions:

...can you please explain in simple terms what is a splitter for anyway? to split audio and video? but why? and how to use it? please fill me in

Windows doesn't know, for example, an MKV file is an A/V file. An MKV reader gives Windows the ability to recognize that MKV is an A/V file type and read from them. A Splitter is used to split the audio and video (possibly other streams like subtitles, etc.) into separate streams. Sometimes the reader and splitter are included in one filter. Then you need decoders (codecs) to decompress those streams. Finally you need audio and video renderers, the filters that actually send the decompressed audio to the sound card, and the decompressed video to the graphics card. Read more here.

And don't forget ;)
  • berryracer likes this

#5 speedy

speedy

Talented Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

@zeNmaster
I meant in comparison to Shark, which Berry was referring to.

@berryracer
Which kind of files were slow with seeking? WMV? You should be able to achieve the same with the codec pack if you would set LAV as splitter for WMV. I think by default it uses the Microsoft codecs from Windows for WMV.

#6 berryracer

berryracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDubai, U.A.E.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

@berry
What player do you use? I have no codec packs installed, just MPC-HC and works fine.

To answer your last questions:

Windows doesn't know, for example, an MKV file is an A/V file. An MKV reader gives Windows the ability to recognize that MKV is an A/V file type and read from them. A Splitter is used to split the audio and video (possibly other streams like subtitles, etc.) into separate streams. Sometimes the reader and splitter are included in one filter. Then you need decoders (codecs) to decompress those streams. Finally you need audio and video renderers, the filters that actually send the decompressed audio to the sound card, and the decompressed video to the graphics card. Read more here.

And don't forget ;)

LOL about the last link :D

Well I know you can use MPC-HC alone but then it wouldn't use hardware acceleration that's why I install the LAV codecs and disable all the internal filters of MPC-HC

Would you please tell me why the need for ffdshow still when LAV can play everything?

For example, any kind of codec or misc. app like the Smooth Video Project requires you to install ffdshow. Can LAV substitute ffdshow for good? Is ffdshow a software renderer only? In simple terms, any differences you can point out between the two?

@berryracer
Which kind of files were slow with seeking? WMV? You should be able to achieve the same with the codec pack if you would set LAV as splitter for WMV. I think by default it uses the Microsoft codecs from Windows for WMV.

Yes I meant WMV movies. And your explanation makes sense... I never knew how to manually disable all Microsoft built in codecs (I think they're called WMO ? please correct me if i'm wrong)

Anyway, right now I am using the Smooth Video Project and lemme tell you this, the quality of videos is a whole different world now! Videos play at 60 ++ FPS you almost feel you are in the darn video! :D they are so realistic! It's a whole new experience and you'd wanna re-watch all your favorite titles again with this....
Lenovo IdeaPad Y570-2349
PC Tweakers
Posted Image

#7 speedy

speedy

Talented Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

You don't need to disable the Microsoft decoder. I have just tested it and it is enough to enable WMV1/2 and WMV3 in LAV Video decoder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users