Subtitles in WMP 12

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tmgenesis1_*

Guest_tmgenesis1_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed "DirectVobSub_2.40.3785_x64". I am trying to watch a movie with an srt file for the subtitles. I have named the file the exact same as the movie and placed it in the same location as the movie. And yet still no subtitles. I am a noob so maybe I'm missing something in the setup. I have hear this was a simple download and install and presto you can have subtitles. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Can someone please help me?

Thanks

#2 zeNmaster

zeNmaster

• Administrators
  • 155 posts
  • LocationEU

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Windows Media Player uses the Media Foundation framework instead of DirectShow for playing certain file types. As a result, DirectShow subtitle filters like DirectVobSub are not used. Media Foundation lacks native support for many common subtitle formats.

Media Foundation is used for the following file types: AVI, WMV, MP4, MOV, 3GP, M2TS.

In case of AVI files, subtitles will be displayed if DirectVobSub is installed. Media Foundation has a special workaround to make that possible.

For the other file formats mentioned above you need to disable Media Foundation in order to be able to get subtitles. You can do that with the Win7DSFilterTweaker tool that is included with the codec pack. Instead of disabling Media Foundation, what also works in most cases is to disable the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder. You can also do that with the Win7DSFilterTweaker tool.

If you have trouble getting DirectVobSub to load for external subtitles when ffdshow is set as preferred H.264 decoder, then try setting the preferred decoder back to Microsoft. That may help.

An alternative for DirectVobSub would be the Local Subtitles for WMP plugin for WMP12. That also works with Media Foundation.
Source: Codecguide

Or use MPC-HC which has built-in support for subtitles. Just drag and drop the subtitles into player, nothing more :)

#3 Guest_Phebe76_*

Guest_Phebe76_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:10 AM

I have been trying to view arabic subtitles on windows media player 12 in windows 7 x64 ... and I can't get it to be viewed there ... I got ownership of the file mfpmp.exe in C:\Windows\System 32... and removed it and installed k-lite codec pack but still I get nothing.
When I try to play movies on Windows Media Center .. direct vobsub appears on the tray and the subtitles appear ... but not in arabic ... they appear in those wierd characters that make no sense...

Can anyone help me with this and tell me how can I view arabic subtitles on either wmp 12 or WMC ?

#4 speedy

speedy

Talented Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

You should not delete files from Windows. That will only get you into trouble.

A solution for the weird symbols can be found at this page:
http://codecguide.co...tles.htm#item25

#5 Sam Chn

Sam Chn

Whiner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:09 AM

yes, surely you may be missing something right technically, my advice recheck and try again

#6 3amr_Spider

3amr_Spider

Whiner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks alot for Win7DSFilterTweaker , it was helpful to me to activate Arabic subtitles .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users