One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play.
So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave... don't worry, when you open that movie again it will resume at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume...
Other features of SMPlayer
- It can play and download Youtube videos. A Youtube browser is included, which allows to easily download Youtube videos too.
- Complete preferences dialog, where you can change the key shortcuts, colors and fonts of the subtitles, and many more.
- Support for skins and icon themes.
- Possibility to search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
- Filters. Many video and audio filters are available: deinterlace, postprocessing, denoise... and even a karaoke filter (voice removal).
- Seeking by mouse wheel. You can use your mouse wheel to go forward or backward in the video. The mouse buttons can also be customized.
- Video equalizer, allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and gamma of the video image.
- Multiple speed playback. You can play at 2X, 4X... and even in slow motion.
- Audio and subtitles delay adjustment. Allows you to sync audio and subtitles.
- Advanced options, such as selecting a demuxer or video & audio codecs.
- On your own language: currently SMPlayer is translated into more than 30 languages, including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese....
- Free and opensource. SMPlayer is under the GPL license.
- Compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008, Windows 7 and 8.
Changes in SMPlayer 0.8.6
- SMPlayer can now update its internal Youtube code so it's not necessary to update smplayer everytime Youtube makes a change.
- A section "Updates" has been added to the preferences dialog, where it's possible to configure or disable the update checker.
- SMPlayer could still fail to find some subtitles from opensubtitles.org. Hopefully this is fixed.
- (Windows) The autoload of subtitles with non latin1 filenames has been fixed.
- The Windows installer gives the possibility to delete most of the configuration files of smplayer. This can be useful if the configuration files have been corrupted or smplayer has been misconfigured.
- Several other bugfixes. See the Changelog for details.
SMPlayer 0.8.6.5954 beta
on 07 January 2014, reviewed by: Ram
SM Player is very good but incapable of playing longer video files above 250mb...whether it be wmv, mp4, flv or others which it plays worse.
For smaller video files, excellent
SMPlayer 0.8.6.5952 beta
on 02 January 2014, reviewed by: Bolt90
This player IS reliable, and has de-blocking filters and other filters easily accessed from the menu bar including during playback.
It always seems to come in handy, even though I license several payware players.
This player is feature rich. Much appreciated...
SMPlayer 0.6.9.3615 beta
on 14 August 2011, reviewed by: Steve Kim
I do not recommend to use this player.
I tried to test and failed to download subtitle for a popular video title, but failed.
The sound codec is also no so good as other players.
I would recommend anyone to use Potplayer in which a lot of options are available per your preference.
SMPlayer can also play, search and download Youtube™ videos. It uses the award-winning MPlayer as playback engine which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats.