In this case, MP4 does not refer to MPEG-4 Video, but to the MP4 Bitstream, a wrapper format similar to AVI, OGM and Matroska.
The MP4 Bitstream format has been licensed from the QuickTime format by the MPEG group as the official file format for MPEG-4 content.
The popularity of this format is continuously rising and new tools are being developed to handle it, such as the MP4 Splitter.
The application is easy to install by following this small guide: extract the files from the archive and use the files from the Release or Release Unicode folder; copy the DLL or AX files in the system32 folder; go to Start, click on Run (after typing Run in the search box) and type: regsvr32 filename.dll or regsvr32 filename.ax.
If you are unable to install the filter, please read this small guide: How to install/uninstall DLL and AX codec files
MP4 Splitter is quite basic, and you can only work with one file at a time, after importing it using the file browser. On the other hand, you can adjust the output configuration parameters by using “Split Options” such as “Split to X equal parts” or “Split using cut points”.
Determining the exact sections of the movie that you want to split is easy, by previewing video in the integrated player. After choosing the destination folder, you can hit the “Split” button and wait for the process to complete.
This application, initially developed by Gabest, cannot be used on a computer that already has the Haali Media Splitter
installed; avoid having both files installed to your system at the same time.
Compact and basic, the MP4 Splitter will help you demultiplex your videos into streams in no time.
Changes to MP4 Splitter 1.5.2
- Fixed rewind to the beginning on fragmented (DASH) files.
- Improved support of video in H. 264 format.
- Extended support video format MagicYUV.
- Improved support for DTS/DTS-HD, added support for DTS Express.
- Added support for forced flag for subtitles in tx3g.
- Fill the extradata of H. 264 and HEVC streams if it is not in the header.
- Added support for Apple ProRes 4444 XQ.
- Fixed opening of some old QT files.
- Added support for JPEG2000 video ID 'AVj2'.
- Added support for VP8 and VP9.
MP4 Splitter allows you to demultiplex your movies into individual streams and highlight the most relevant parts in a video.